The Adopt-A-Student ministry connects university students with adults and families (i.e. “adopters”) in the church for prayer support, encouragement, and fellowship. This is a great opportunity for students to get connected with others in the church.
During the month of September, students will be given the opportunity to sign up for this ministry and adopters will be able to then select the student(s) they’d like to adopt. Students and adopters can sign up at the Adopt-A-Student table in the foyer before and after the Sunday morning services. In order to adopt a student, you must be (1) part of or pursuing involvement in a small group, (2) not adopt a student that you’ve previously adopted, and, (3) if you’re single, adopt the same gender.
By adopting a student, the Adopter commits to:
- Praying for their student
- Keeping regular contact with their student either by e-mail, phone, or meet up
- Do what they can to provide help and support for their student
Here are some helpful ideas for caring for your adopted student:
- Take them out for lunch or dinner
- Bring them shopping on a Saturday (many students don’t have cars)
- Make up care baskets especially around exam time or at special times of the year like Thanksgiving or Easter
- Provide rides to church events (try to especially support their pursuit of involvement in the church)
- Call or email regularly to see if your student has prayer requests or anything they want to talk about
- Remember to encourage your student in their walk with Christ in whatever way you can!