Last week I posted a blog explaining how the COVID-19 pandemic affects our small group ministry along with a video explaining how to have a small group online. Here is a followup video with some more tips related to how to stay connected with your small group during this crisis:
Here are a couple helpful suggestions from David Yu:
- Small group leaders should send out the Google Hangouts link about 10-15 mins before the scheduled meeting time to account for any possible technical issues.
- To prevent any awkward pauses or a bunch of people talking at once, we listed names in alphabetical order in the chat window and that was the order of our “circle” for the call. That way people know when to share (for accountability) or pray.
Here are links with more information on some of the apps I talked about:
Video Chat Apps
- Google Hangouts – http://hangouts.google.com/
- Zoom – http://zoom.us/
- Facebook Messenger – http://messenger.com/
- Skype – http://skype.com/
Group Chat Apps
- WhatsApp – https://www.whatsapp.com/
- Telegram – https://telegram.org/
If you have any other tips or just want to share about your experience having a small group online, please post in the comments below!