James 1:22-24 says this, “But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like.”
Every small group meeting needs to have a time of accountability where the men meet with the men and the women meet with the women. This is where the rubber meets the road. This is where life change happens. This is where men and women seek to be doers of the word, not just hearers. That said, here is some basic information to remind us of what accountability is and what it entails.
What Accountability Is:
“Mutual disclosure leading to increased obedience”
How It Works:
- We practice it by asking good questions
- We respect confidentiality
- We model it through example
- We expect reciprocation
What To Do When Accountability Happens:
- Focus more on Christ than on someone’s sin
- Focus more on identity than on someone’s disobedience
- Focus more on gracious exhortation than on someone’s failure
- Focus more on pursuing Christ not only avoiding sin
You are loved!